4 Squadron was established in 1958, originally named (Papakura) Squadron. In 2006, then Unit Commander, FLTLT Murray Kidd, had the name changed to Ardmore to better reflect the Squadrons geographic location.
In 2000, the Squadron was very proud to officially open a purpose built facility on Ardmore Airfield, the Jeff Magilsen Complex. In late 2015 the Squadron opened a new wing of classrooms and ablution block. There are plans to further develop the facility in the future.
Also in 2015, the Squadron officially opened its new Flight Simulator Suite, a setup of 9 flight simulators, with almost 180 degree visuals. Because of its location, the squadron has a strong aviation focus, which is complemented with several officers who are airline pilots and senior cadets who are well into their pilot licence training.
The Squadron currently parades around 55 Cadets, and is supported by 4 officers and other supplementary staff.